Welcome to Dog Day Baseball!
1. Register on the forum. http://www.bemont.net/Dogforum/index.php
Then email me at email@example.com
to let me know your forum name. Due to thousands of bots trying to register, I
have to activate accounts manually.
2. READ THROUGH THE RECENT SIM REPORTS on the forum. Each day when I sim, I post there -- not only the fact that the sim is done, but any other events, deadlines, whatever. You should definitely subscribe to this forum, and read it each sim. Anything you really need to know is either here, or linked from there.
3 . Either now or very soon, you should read through our rules page. http://www.bemont.net/rulesreve.htm
4. Getting the file
a. Be sure your game is patched up-to-date.
b. In your Saved Games subfolder, create a new folder and name it ddb.lg
c. Download the file here: www.bemont.net/DogDays12/backups/ddbfull.zip Unzip this archive into your newly created ddb.lg folder. If you do this correctly, you should see a bunch of files with .dat extensions in that folder.
d. Open the game and open the league file. If you see your name listed, you are good to go. Just use the password I sent you.
e. If you do not see your name listed, then go in as "Guest" (no password needed) Then update your file. This is done under the pulldown menu at the far left, titled "File." Choose "online league" from the middle of the list. Then choose "download latest league file." Depending on the speed of your internet connection, this may take some time. After the update, you should see your name listed.
Let me know if you have any problems setting it up.
5. Before doing any serious work on your roster, do a test export! It is really discouraging to sink a lot of time into micromanagement, and then find your ftp export isn't working right. If you email me, I can confirm that I got the test export.
* Go to the pulldown menu headed by your name at the top of the screen.
* Choose "manager's office" at the top of the list.
* Go to the pulldown menu "Manager and GM actions" on the far right side, near the top of the page.
* Use the top option "export team via FTP".
* If the process works correctly, after a few seconds you should see a message that the export has completed.
* You may export as many times as you wish, only the last export actually matters.
6. Sims are done in the early morning Tues-Thurs-Sat-Sun during the regular season and every day during the playoffs and offseason.
* Check your finances. Don't make trades or release players without understanding the financial implications. If your team finances look discouraging, talk things over with me.
* All times posted are Eastern time -- Eastern Standard during the winter, Eastern Daylight Savings during the summer.
Online OOTP is for fun. If Dog Days stops being fun for you, of course you should stop playing, no one is going to feel let down or offended. However, I do a lot of work to keep the league going, and it makes my job much more difficult if you disappear without shooting me an email. Otherwise, I am placed in the uncomfortable position of guessing whether your lack of participation is due to your leaving, due to technical problems, or due to a short term personal crisis. Please let me know if you are not going on with your team!